Implement | Part 2
INSTALL the POEMS Platform
The POEMS platform provides the infrastructure for unification of data and reporting.
- Document Storage/Retrieval – Searchable, centralized document storage for all policy, procedure, and user materials required for both CRM compliance and pipeline operations, including control room plans, O&M plans, emergency response plans, operating procedures, compliance forms, software user guides, and others.
- Area of Operations. Area of operations are administrated in the POEMS platform. Area of operations unifies all automation data across the enterprise into a single data infrastructure.
- Security. Administrators and supervisors control access to individual pipeline systems and who can view, create, edit, and delete entries, and who can act as a controller.
- Reporting. Engine for generation of reports and for scheduled email distribution of those reports. Specific report are provided by the POEMS software component.
For security reasons, the POEMS platform, CRMgr, and ALMgr are typically installed on the business server along with Microsoft SQL Server and kept separate from the SCADA system server.
Implement | Part 3
Control Room Shift Handover Reporting AND CRM Compliance Logging
Failure to maintain proper records that are readily available for an audit could result in fines up to $200,000.
Responding to the need for proper recordkeeping, EnerSys developed CRMgr, an intuitive logging and reporting tool that eliminates pen and paper and allows operators to be in compliance with reporting requirements. CRMgr simplifies the audit process by ensuring that operators have ready access to reports and documentation (Figure 4).
CRMgr is implemented after the CRMP is finalized. From that point on, it is used to log operational, maintenance, and abnormal incidents and to produce a PHMSA-compliant report for shift handover.
With CRMgr, controllers must follow a basic order of operations to ensure smooth day-to-day usage and to generate a shift handover report for the next controller. To help record all significant events, CRMgr permits customized logging based on specific log types. Pull-down menus are used throughout to minimize manual entries. CRMgr features and benefits include:
- Controller Log – Captures multi-event log notes from all controllers’ consoles. Powerful search engine provides unlimited search capablility.
- Shift Handover Log – Automatically retrieves controller logs for shift handover review, and enforces required shift hand over procedures. Also provides for Temporary Relief handover when a controller must leave his console for a short time. Shift handover review reduces amount of time required for the shift handover meeting.
- Operating Notices – Provide for controller log entries and notices to controllers for events that stand open for a period of time, such as equipment out of service and construction in pipeline right of way.
• Compliance Log – Repository for all documentation required to demonstrate compliance to the CRM rule. Search capability helps provide information required during the PHMSA inspection.