The POEMS platform is a suite of applications built upon SQL and is unified through the area of operations data infrastructure. The POEMS platform contains four primary features:
Area of Operations Editor – POEMS is built around an area of operations hierarchy, which can be modified through the platform user interface.
Report Engine – Generates reports and schedules email distribution from each of the other product suites.
Document Library – A single location to store, organize, and view both HTML and PDF documents, including the philosophies and detailed user materials.
User Administration – POEMS uses a group-based, additive security model that supports Microsoft Active Directory. Permissions are applied to groups, to which users are added.
Area of Operations – A Key Concept in POEMS
One of the challenges of organizing real time data is placing a logical structure on the instrument data. This is critical to developing the high performance HMI and to an effective program of alarm management. The Area of Operations (AoO) tool within POEMS specifically addresses this issue, and does so outside of the SCADA platform itself. The AoO can be used to tie together all data sources (SCADA, DCS, PLC, EFM, etc.) and types into a single real time enterprise data structure. Key concepts include.
- Elements – specific instrument values such as pressure, temperature, flow, etc.
- Components – organize elements into field equipment, such as orifice meters, block valves, control valves, tanks, pressure regulators, pumps, and compressors.
- Areas of Operation – organize components into skids, stations, regions and so on.
- An AoO is a group of components organized to represent an operating skid or station, such as well sites, meter station/skids, valve stations, pumps station/skids, and compressor station/skid.
- A facility or plant can contain multiple areas of operation.